From: Tom Martin <slarti@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:51:12
1 On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:34:22 -0500
2 Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Brian Harring wrote: [Sun Jan 08 2006, 09:16:36PM EST]
5 > > Regardless, (imo) it's already been laid out why guideXML'ifying
6 > > everything doesn't totally work. Three reasons...
7 > >
8 > > A) bit of work required just to jot down a quick list of "this is
9 > > broke, fix it" that's going to be thrown out 2 weeks down the line.
10 >
11 > I noticed Ciaran has been using RST for GLEP 42. I wonder if it would
12 > be a good alternative to guideXML in general.
13 >
14 > http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
15 >
16 > I realize this doesn't address the *rest* of what you said, though...
17
18 I agree.
19
20 These little 'howtos' are potentially very short, and guideXML would be
21 overkill. RST is absolutely perfect for this kind of thing: quick and
22 easy to write, powerful, and legible in raw form. It's also easily
23 converted to any number of other formats.
24
25 A new CVS repository containing these little howtos that is accessible
26 with viewcvs would be perfect, if you ask me. There would be proper
27 version control on the files and they would be read/write for
28 developers and read-only for users (otherwise the potential of
29 vandalism etc. is too high). This is, in my opinion, how things should
30 be for these simple developer guides.
31
32 I'd also propose that these things are listed in a flat directory
33 hierarchy, more or less. I'd rather the names of the files were
34 prefixed with the project/herd name and then dumped in the same
35 directory.It would encourage 'reading around' a bit (you know,
36 like when you look up a word in a dictionary and end up learning
37 another few words by accident). This can only be a good thing (I'll
38 admit that, say, a documentation developer stumbling across the
39 Gentoo/MIPS stabilisation criteria is not in reality that useful
40 useful, but in the majority of cases this rule holds true).
41
42 The whole wiki-for-everything idea really annoys me. It forces
43 a web browser on me, and this is particularly naff when it comes to
44 editing. It's also really bland and boring, and completely unoriginal.
45 They're also hard to navigate. If I was going to write one of these
46 guides I'd rather put a .txt on my devspace than bother with the
47 devwiki.
48
49 I still haven't fixed the other two points Brian mentioned, but I don't
50 really think they're all that serious. If a user sees an omission, he
51 can drop a mail to the guy who wrote the guide. There's really no
52 reason to file bugs for anything like this. Allowing universal r/w is
53 asking for vandalism. As for the third point -- concurrency -- this is
54 exactly what any VCS is supposed to fix. We live with it with the
55 tree's CVS, I'm sure we can live with it for this.
56
57 I guess it's also important to distinguish what constitutes a little
58 development 'howto' for some common task, rather than a full-on GDP
59 guide.
62 Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti
63 AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, vim, recruiters
64 Gentoo Linux