From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] drop iputils from @system (i.e. ping)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:09:08
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > iputils is currently in @system for everyone. by default, it only
5 > installs `ping`. do we feel strongly enough about this to require
6 > all systems include it ? or should this wait for the long idea of
7 > releasing stage4's instead of stage3's ?
8
9 What's the gain? The package is tiny and it is one of the most
10 basic network diagnostic tools. When setting up a machine, ping
11 may be the only tool that lets you figure out why all the fetches
12 are failing. I think we should keep it, unless there is a
13 compelling reason not to (or when we get s4s).
14
15 Regards,
16 Tobias