From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:58:51
1 @council; cross posting to provide the reasoning, if discussion continues on
2 council ml, kindly cc me (unsubscribed long ago). Technical
3 discussion (which should be the basis of "why it was banned" should be
4 on dev ml imo).
5
6 On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:11:44PM +0200, Danny van Dyk wrote:
7 > Hi all,
8 >
9 > [CC'ing council@g.o as requested by GLEP amendment from March 8th, 2007]
10 >
11 > A subset of council members decided today that multiple version suffixes
12 > are illegal in the tree pending further notice. This decission can be
13 > appealed at the next Council meeting. If there is sufficient public
14 > demand, an earlier meeting can be held.
15
16 Rules for 'appealing' are a wee bit sparse, but consider this email an
17 appeal to reopen the issue at the next council meeting (and a
18 suggestion to figure out what appealing requires/involves). Offhand,
19 while there has been sqawking, the functionality has been available
20 for over a year (first 2.1 release of portage), pkgcore has long term
21 supported it, paludis will support it in next released version (it's
22 in trunk at least), PMS has the basic comparison rules doc'd out in
23 addition.
24
25 As others have said, but reiterating in this message- the only
26 'recent' change for multi-suffix is unlocking it in repoman so folks
27 could use it; nature of backwards compatibility, the support had to be
28 left locked for >6 months to preclude issues from stage releases, only
29 change this side of 2007 was unlocking it.
30
31 Meanwhile, bug involved which is basically resolved at this point-
32 http://bugs.gentoo.org/166522
33
34 If the intention of the subset was to limit things till the allowed
35 permutations of multi-suffix are worked out, please clarify- at least
36 what I've seen thread wise, haven't seen a real explanation for it
37 beyond "multi-suffix is icky and robbat2 has a hackish alternative" :)
40 > This decission has been made to prevent sufficient precedence for
41 > unilateral changes to the tree structure. So far the following package
42 > versions are considered illegal:
43
44 Please expand further on this one- no offense meant, but the
45 offered reason is slightly weasely in that it's not really saying
46 anything, what it is saying is pretty obfuscated.
47
48 Best I can figure, the offered reason is "it needs to be blocked
49 before it becomes widespread thus cannot be blocked any further"-
50 which isn't much of a reason since the support is long term there
51 already, and doesn't state *why* it needs to be blocked (just states
52 "it needs to be blocked").
53
54 I'm not a mind reader, so lets just assume I'm misreading it. Either
55 way, feel free to expound on the 'why' (either ml or via council
56 appeal).
59 > An illegal version specification of media-sound/alsa-driver has already
60 > been removed from the tree.
61 >
62 > I would like to ask the affected package maintainers to move these
63 > versions to sane version specifications as soon as possible. Thanks in
64 > advance for this.
65
66 In the future when a subset (or full council, whatever) decides to ban
67 functionality such as this, strongly suggest they ban *further* usage
68 of it- implicit there is that the existing usage is left alone till a
69 full decision can be reached. Y'all banned all usage of it, meaning
70 people have to make changes now.
71
72 Reasoning is pretty simple; at least for the two versions above, via
73 making it illegal it forces them to transition to a hasty versioning
74 scheme that may (frankly) suck- such as robbats proposal (his proposal
75 works, but it's not human friendly and frankly serves more as a
76 demonstration of why multi-suffix is useful).
77
78 Joking aside, if the intention is to block further usage till the
79 permutations allowed are ironed out, fair enough- would strongly
80 suggest not decreeing "they've got to go now" when you're stating in
81 the same breath the decision will (effectively) be revisited a few
82 weeks later. Especially since changes to the versioning
83 scheme can be a royal pain in the ass transitioning away from
84 afterwards.
85
86 ~harring