From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Add --hash-style=gnu to LDFLAGS
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 00:15:10
1 On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 05:32:42PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, August 07, 2010 12:32:31 Markos Chandras wrote:
4 >> > It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track down
5 >> > packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a good
6 >> > way to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on
7 >> > LDFLAGS (or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?
8 >>
9 >> it isnt a valid flag for everyone.  it requires a new enough binutils (not too
10 >> big of a deal), a new enough glibc (also not too big of a deal), and you cant
11 >> be a mips target (glibc support is broken).  support does exist in uClibc, but
12 >> only in recent versions (this is an issue), and hasnt been widely tested for
13 >> many targets.
14 >>
15 > We could at least enable that on x86/amd64 dev profiles (since only devs are
16 > supposed to use them and they are the most used arches among us) just to get some more
17 > feedback and fix the packages before they reach the end users. This will
18 > reduce the bug # and make sure that --as-needed is respected in a broader
19 > range of packages
20
21 Why not just set some LDFLAGS that totally won't work (-Wl, taters)
22 and then assume anything that actually compiles with those flags set
23 does not respect LDFLAGS. Set that up on a tinderbox instead of
24 making users do it.
25
26 -A
29 >> considering the only real benefit is that it automates a QA check, i dont
30 >> think it's worth the hassle.  newer Gentoo binutils already enables .gnu.hash
31 >> support by default, so people get the speed increase transparently.
32 > Agreed
35 > --
36 > Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
37 > Gentoo Linux Developer
38 > Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
39 > Key ID: 441AC410
40 > Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410