From: Javier Marcet <jmarcet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE 3.1.0 RC2 still has odd kdm problem
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:00:15
1 * James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@×××.org> [021107 02:57]:
2
3 >>Can anyone shed a light on were the problem might be so I can finally
4 >>track down the bug and get rid of it?
5 >>The first thing I tried and verified was working well was PAM since it
6 >>was the responsible for all the permissions, but I couldn't see any
7 >>problem there.
8
9 >Wild Guess department:
10
11 >Are you using the same configuration files when you use KDM as when you
12 >use GDM:
13
14 > Xservers
15 > Xwilling
16 > Xaccess
17 > Xsetup
18 > Xreset
19 > Xresources
20 > Xstartup
21
22 >With KDE from source, they are by default in:
23
24 > /usr/kde3/share/config/kdm/
25
26 >I had some problems with Xsession, but it couldn't be your problem
27 >because it isn't called until after you login. Some of the others are
28 >irrelevant for the same reason.
29
30 Thanks Oswald and James. You both hit exactly my problem.
31 As James pointed out kdm was using the config files under
32 /usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm - that's where my kde installation is -,
33 and just as Oswald guesses there was a problem with Xservers.
34
35 @@ -10,7 +10,7 @@
36 # look like:
37 # XTerminalName:0 foreign
38 #
39 -:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7
40 +:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
41
42 ### Don't change these two lines; they are hints for genkdmconf. ###
43 ### Version 1.99 ###
44
45 Xservers on /etc/X11/xdm, which gdm and xdm were using, didn't force a
46 vt, while Xservers on /usr/kde/3.1/share/config/kdm forced vt7 which was
47 already used by a login.
48 That also explains why I got some garbage on my 7th console whenever I
49 run kdm.
50
51 Well, given that not forcing a specific vt should always work, it'll
52 simple switch to the first one available, don't you think it's better to
53 just remove it altogether, leaving simply a call to /usr/X11R6/binX? In
54 fact, the reason some build were running fine while others were not,
55 seems to indicate that Xservers have changed between versions. I'll just
56 check it now...
57
58 Yes, I checked the other box where beta2 is installed and Xservers on
59 /usr/.../kdm/ is identical to the one on /etx/X11/xdm.
60 The installation was done in exactly the same way with all versions,
61 might it be a difference in genkdmconf which AFAIK generates the kdm
62 config files?
66 Javier Marcet <jmarcet@×××××.com>