From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] local USE flag mess [was: addition of optional dependencies to (gtk+-2.4.1)]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 06:59:13
1 On 05/12/04 cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net wrote:
2
3 > Cutting this short, I would have no objection to a local USE
4 > of "filechooser" or "icons" so that each interested party can make
5 > their own choice. Thanks.
6
7 Please, not another local USE flag, we already have >300 of them, it's
8 becoming unmanagable. I'd be very happy if we actually could _reduce_
9 the number of local USE flags (of course without removing choice or
10 introducing a lot of other env variables).
11 So my request for package maintainers is: Please, before you introduce a
12 local flag to a package, double check that there really isn't an
13 existing flag that you could use. If you think that your flag could be
14 combined with another one, please do so.
15
16 Marius
21 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
22 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.