From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
Cc: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:45:55
1 On Thursday 21 August 2003 12:34 am, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
2 > Vim is an essential tool for me, if it wasnt available for use when
3 > preparing a gentoo installation, i would install from something else
4 > that does provide it - i feel that strongly about it.
5
6 Serious question - what features of vim do you need that are not supplied by
7 one of the other vi-like editors? This would be good to know.
8
9 > And we're not talking about a few megabytes here, we're talking about a
10 > few hundred K's, with USE=minimal my vim binary is just 400k.
11
12 What about the contents of /usr/share/vim? This is where a lot of space is
13 taken up.
14
15 > im sure there are, but vi != vim.
16
17 For basic text editing, vim !== vi, but vim == vi.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
21 --
22 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
23 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
24 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
25 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
26
27 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
28 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
29 --