From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
Cc: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:34:18
1 On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 11:42:54PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Having a vi-compatible editor on the basic install CD (sorry, but I hate the
3 > term LiveCD when applied to the basic install CD, because it's *not* a Live
4 > CD) is essential. Having a complete vim installation isn't.
7 Having KDE doesnt make a cd "live", LiveCD is a contraction of "Live
8 filesystem" which obviously applies to the installation cd. I've never
9 downloaded any of the demonstration cd's, but i've still needed a rescue
10 disc to save a dying box, and the installation cd came in handy.
11
12 Vim is an essential tool for me, if it wasnt available for use when
13 preparing a gentoo installation, i would install from something else
14 that does provide it - i feel that strongly about it.
15
16 And we're not talking about a few megabytes here, we're talking about a
17 few hundred K's, with USE=minimal my vim binary is just 400k.
18
19 And if its that serious an issue, theres always upx :)
20
21 > I'm sure there are smaller, vi-compatible editors out there suitable for
22 > putting onto the basic install CD.
23
24 im sure there are, but vi != vim.
28 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my gpg key.