From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
Cc: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>, Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:14:08
1 On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 19:34, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
2 > And we're not talking about a few megabytes here, we're talking about a
3 > few hundred K's, with USE=minimal my vim binary is just 400k.
4
5 The difference is a bit more than that when you count all of the
6 supporting files for vim, but that really is not the point I think we're
7 trying to get at. The thing we are looking to solve is "Why do we need
8 an 80+ MB ISO to do installations from, when a smaller one can (and
9 should) do fine?"
10
11 > And if its that serious an issue, theres always upx :)
12
13 Which is an excellent suggestion. Has anyone looked into this, or would
14 it not really be of any value due to the usage of cloop?
15
16 > > I'm sure there are smaller, vi-compatible editors out there suitable for
17 > > putting onto the basic install CD.
18 >
19 > im sure there are, but vi != vim.
20
21 Honestly, I would love to see 3 CD "sets" from Gentoo.
22
23 1) An install CD, with *nothing* but the essentials to install. It
24 should have maximum driver support and minimal anything else. I would
25 think it should only have a stage1 tarball.
26
27 2) A "large" Live CD with the common tools and a nice GUI, this would
28 also be useful as a install CD, since it would have (at least) the
29 stage1 tarball.
30
31 3) The full GRP CD set with all of the pre-compiled packages and all
32 three stages.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Developer, Gentoo Linux