From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:45:11
1 On Wednesday 20 August 2003 4:56 pm, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > As long as the discussion turned towards things like vim/lynx and so on.
3 > Here are my 2 cents. When I was doing my first Gentoo install vim was
4 > not on LiveCD. The only editor there was nano, and it almost drove
5 > me crazy, especially considering that Gentoo installation involves *a
6 > lot* of file editing. Having a good editor is a very important thing, so
7 > plz, don't try to save a mb's of CD space in cost of replacing vim with
8 > anything.
9
10 Having a vi-compatible editor on the basic install CD (sorry, but I hate the
11 term LiveCD when applied to the basic install CD, because it's *not* a Live
12 CD) is essential. Having a complete vim installation isn't.
13
14 I'm sure there are smaller, vi-compatible editors out there suitable for
15 putting onto the basic install CD.
16
17 Best regards,
18 Stu
19 --
20 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
21 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
22 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
23 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
24
25 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
26 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C