From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:05:58
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:01:07 +0000
3 Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > One think that I think *everyone* agrees on is that any stable tree
6 > needs to be regularly updated with security fixes. With this in mind,
7 > I'm concerned with trying to maintain multiple separate SYNC modules.
8 > We'd have to upgrade each one with every GLSA, thus doubling or
9 > tripling the amount of CVS work needed each time.
10
11 Once again, coming from an ISV standpoint where we would have loved to
12 use Gentoo (or, I would, some of the people wouldn't care, and one or
13 two i'd have to beat to make them bend to my will, but whatever ;)
14
15 We had to scrap both Gentoo -and- Debian stable trees. Why? Because
16 both update the -main- repository when releasing security fixes/
17 bugfixes. Neither have a stable tree thats archived once and never
18 changes.
19
20 If you have to actively change a tree (modifications directly into the
21 "frozen" tree) which is the case in many environmens, you get stuck with
22 this problem. if upstream ever changes their tree, work is lost. You can
23 separate local trees and so on, however, once again work is lost when
24 internal revisions have superceeded the ones in the tree. (fex, local
25 changes to sshd to patch ther initscripts and default config files
26 before rollout, which ups the revision of openssh a few times, and then
27 there is a backported securityfix? It won't get merged. )
28
29 this is why I'd like to push, once more, for separated "stable" (frozen
30 snapshot basically) and "updates" pushed in a separate repo. If we
31 want others to use this in enterprise, we have to make it easy for them.
32 :-)
33
34 //Spider
39 begin .signature