From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:59:00
1 On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:21:09AM -0400 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Fork into a completely new module.
3
4 I don't think this is a very good idea for reasons that I'll discuss below.
5
6 > Take any and all ebuilds which are marked as stable for a particular
7 > arch, remove any ~arch keywords, and split it to a gentoo-$version
8 > module.
9
10 Agreed, though I don't see a real need to remove ~arch ebuilds.
11
12 > Since it is a separate module, the ebuilds will always be
13 > there. Since it was taken from the release snapshot for each arch,
14 > it'll also match what is done on the release media, making bug hunting
15 > even easier.
16
17 [side note] the releases of the tree are not tied to the releases of our
18 liveCD/package sets.[/side note]
19
20 > Here, we're using the SYNC variable to control the tree, rather than a
21 > profile. This means we can support multiple profiles on the same tree
22 > easily, and also keeps ebuilds around for as long as we keep the tree
23 > around.
24
25 One think that I think *everyone* agrees on is that any stable tree needs
26 to be regularly updated with security fixes. With this in mind, I'm
27 concerned with trying to maintain multiple separate SYNC modules. We'd
28 have to upgrade each one with every GLSA, thus doubling or tripling the
29 amount of CVS work needed each time.
30
31 --kurt