From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:55:48
1 On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 05:52, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > The only "extra" thing we've talked about so far is a separate rsync module
3 > that has the --delete option removed (but is otherwise identical to the
4 > gentoo-portage module)
5 >
6 > Come up with a better way to *guarantee* ebuilds stay in the tree for a
7 > minimum length of time and I'm all for it.
8
9 Fork into a completely new module.
10
11 Take any and all ebuilds which are marked as stable for a particular
12 arch, remove any ~arch keywords, and split it to a gentoo-$version
13 module. Since it is a separate module, the ebuilds will always be
14 there. Since it was taken from the release snapshot for each arch,
15 it'll also match what is done on the release media, making bug hunting
16 even easier. You use ~arch for any backports or bug fixes that do come
17 along, but don't guarantee either.
18
19 Here, we're using the SYNC variable to control the tree, rather than a
20 profile. This means we can support multiple profiles on the same tree
21 easily, and also keeps ebuilds around for as long as we keep the tree
22 around.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
27 Gentoo Linux
28
29 Is your power animal a penguin?