From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:16:36
1 On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 20:01, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > > Take any and all ebuilds which are marked as stable for a particular
3 > > arch, remove any ~arch keywords, and split it to a gentoo-$version
4 > > module.
5 >
6 > Agreed, though I don't see a real need to remove ~arch ebuilds.
7
8 There's no need, at all. I was simply suggesting it, since if we don't
9 seem them "stable" in the tree, why should they be in a stable tree?
10 *grin*
11
12 > > Since it is a separate module, the ebuilds will always be
13 > > there. Since it was taken from the release snapshot for each arch,
14 > > it'll also match what is done on the release media, making bug hunting
15 > > even easier.
16 >
17 > [side note] the releases of the tree are not tied to the releases of our
18 > liveCD/package sets.[/side note]
19
20 This I don't understand at all. Why maintain 2 separate release cycles?
21
22 > > Here, we're using the SYNC variable to control the tree, rather than a
23 > > profile. This means we can support multiple profiles on the same tree
24 > > easily, and also keeps ebuilds around for as long as we keep the tree
25 > > around.
26 >
27 > One think that I think *everyone* agrees on is that any stable tree needs
28 > to be regularly updated with security fixes. With this in mind, I'm
29 > concerned with trying to maintain multiple separate SYNC modules. We'd
30 > have to upgrade each one with every GLSA, thus doubling or tripling the
31 > amount of CVS work needed each time.
32
33 So the idea is to create exactly *one* stable tree? How is this any
34 different than just doing better with our current tree? Honestly, from
35 what I've heard from our users, they want package stability (as in
36 freeze) much more than anything else. This is *exactly* why I recommend
37 tying the "stable" trees with the releases. I'm not sure I can
38 understand how doing anything else really gives us anything other than
39 adding more workload for the simple fact of adding workload. Having a
40 "stable" tree that still moves, and only providing a single "stable"
41 tree doesn't seem to be an improvement from what we have at all.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
46 Gentoo Linux
47
48 Is your power animal a penguin?