From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:26:46
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 08:23 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > [side note] the releases of the tree are not tied to the releases of our
3 > > liveCD/package sets.[/side note]
4 >
5 > This I don't understand at all. Why maintain 2 separate release cycles?
6
7 There is no release for this at all.. We can use the same release cd's that
8 are currently available.
9
10 > So the idea is to create exactly *one* stable tree? How is this any
11 > different than just doing better with our current tree? Honestly, from
12 > what I've heard from our users, they want package stability (as in
13 > freeze) much more than anything else. This is *exactly* why I recommend
14 > tying the "stable" trees with the releases. I'm not sure I can
15 > understand how doing anything else really gives us anything other than
16 > adding more workload for the simple fact of adding workload. Having a
17 > "stable" tree that still moves, and only providing a single "stable"
18 > tree doesn't seem to be an improvement from what we have at all.
19
20 when we say "stable" we are talking about the package freeze you mention.
21 Some people want daily updates of stuff to be on the bleeding edge. This is
22 one of the biggest selling points of Gentoo, and should remain that way.
23 This project aims at making a tree (or however it is implemented) that does
24 not change as often. For example, I don't need every little gcc and
25 man-pages update on my production system. This would provide some stability
26 to the tree. I guess that "stable" is a bad term here as it is easily
27 confused for system stability.
28
29 Cheers,
30
31 -C
34 Corey Shields
35 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team and Devrel Team
36 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
37 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list