From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:11:05
1 On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 09:26, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > There is no release for this at all.. We can use the same release cd's that
3 > are currently available.
4
5 I still don't see the advantage of 2 release cycles. I honestly feel
6 like our current quarterly release cycles are a bit ambitious. Adding
7 any other release cycles into this mix would simply be overwhelming for
8 our staff.
9
10 > > So the idea is to create exactly *one* stable tree? How is this any
11 > > different than just doing better with our current tree? Honestly, from
12 > > what I've heard from our users, they want package stability (as in
13 > > freeze) much more than anything else. This is *exactly* why I recommend
14 > > tying the "stable" trees with the releases. I'm not sure I can
15 > > understand how doing anything else really gives us anything other than
16 > > adding more workload for the simple fact of adding workload. Having a
17 > > "stable" tree that still moves, and only providing a single "stable"
18 > > tree doesn't seem to be an improvement from what we have at all.
19 >
20 > when we say "stable" we are talking about the package freeze you mention.
21 > Some people want daily updates of stuff to be on the bleeding edge. This is
22 > one of the biggest selling points of Gentoo, and should remain that way.
23 > This project aims at making a tree (or however it is implemented) that does
24 > not change as often. For example, I don't need every little gcc and
25 > man-pages update on my production system. This would provide some stability
26 > to the tree. I guess that "stable" is a bad term here as it is easily
27 > confused for system stability.
28
29 I guess when I hear stable, I think *UN*changing... not "changing less
30 often". Adding "some" stability is not what our users are asking for
31 from us. They are asking for a "stable" tree. A single tree cannot
32 provide this. Having a "bleeding" and a "stable" tree cannot provide
33 this. This is why I have always been pushing the idea of having a
34 "release" tree which coincides with the release media. You then have a
35 complete set of "stable" packages, both in the form of the release tree,
36 and also in the form of pre-compiled binary GRP packages. It also would
37 open up the possibility of creating binary-only update packages if we so
38 desired to in the future. Installing from a Gentoo 2019.2 CD would then
39 *always* produce an *identical* install, just as it does with any other
40 distribution, and just like our users are requesting. This does not
41 change the "gentoo-portage" module, which would be the equivalent of
42 something like freebsd's or slackware's -current branches.
45 Chris Gianelloni
46 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
47 Gentoo Linux
48
49 Is your power animal a penguin?