From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 4.7 unmasking
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:38:36
1 On 25/02/2013 22:32, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > That isn't the same as saying that we can just break it in cases where
3 > it actually is appropriate. Calculating scroll bar movement is
4 > exactly the sort of thing that this flag was actually designed for -
5 > you don't care if it is off by 1/100th of a pixel.
6
7 Rich.. please... don't try to talk about things you don't understand.
8
9 If Chromium is not building *by itself* on -ffast-math, we should *not*
10 support building it with it. Full stop.
11
12 It's not that adding -ffast-math loses the 1/100th precision on a scroll
13 bar pixel: it has a truckload of changes to the whole mathematics in the
14 code, which _among other things_ will break that scrollbar, because the
15 calculation used to display it add up to a huge difference.
16
17 So no, I don't care if -ffast-math "breaks" in the sense that stuff that
18 does not build with -ffast-math to begin with work even less with the
19 new version — I would be wondering about it if it broke stuff that
20 already is designed to rely on it, but even in that case, it's hard to
21 actually say that it "broke", it's just "different".
24 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
25 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/