From: ivor@×××××××××××.za
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] HELP...URGENT VIA KM133A Savage Pro video corruption
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 06:15:01
1 Hi
2
3 Please, I need urgent help.
4
5 Newbie to Gentoo Linux (previous Mandrake 8.2 user).
6
7 Have successfully installed Gentoo Linux 1.2 from 16Mb Boot CDRom, rebooted first
8 time and got garbled video.
9
10 I know it is the KM133A ProSavage Bit 5 and or Bit 7 clearing problem!
11
12 I installed xfs-sources kernel as per your documentation (BTW the documentation on
13 the Gentoo 1.2 16Mb CDrom is still refering to Gentoo 1.0 rc ??).
14
15 I now don't know how to upgrade/patch kernel, and maybe it is as simple as emerging
16 the gentoo-sources (2.4.19r7) which if it is patched for this VIA chipset bug then
17 I am good to go if you can tell me how to get back to the install and emerge a new
18 kernel, compile and install and update GRUB....reboot and he presto I am Gentoo user!
19
20 Please, it is vital I get my machine up ASAP.
21
22 Regards
23 Ivor Jordan
24 SRI