From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:19:03
1 On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:09:17 +0100
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > I like dosed because I've used it many times for the $D-removing
4 > feature. If there was (is?) an automatic filter at install-time that
5 > scanned files to remove $D references, that would work for me instead.
6
7 The fix is to write code that does exactly what you need, rather than
8 relying upon weird voodoo.
9
10 > > I think you're misunderstanding what this is for. It's to allow
11 > > packages to work out whether they're upgrading / downgrading /
12 > > reinstalling / whatever, since Zac broke the devmanual-documented
13 > > and PMS-required way of doing it using has_version and refuses to
14 > > revert it.
15 >
16 > Ah, I see. This is the first I'd heard about this anywhere (the
17 > problem or the proposal). So running has_version in setup/preinst and
18 > again in postinst doesn't do what you'd want anymore?
19
20 They don't do what the devmanual says they do these days, yes. Zac
21 decided to change the version order code a while ago without telling
22 anyone, and without an EAPI bump. After he was told it broke a load of
23 ebuilds (and devmanual-described things), which he didn't know about
24 before he implemented the changes, he went and fixed some, but probably
25 not all, things relying upon it in a big commit spree...
28 Ciaran McCreesh