From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 01:13:12
1 On 15/05/16 02:04, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:48:12 AM JST Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, 15 May 2016 08:40:39 +0900
5 >>>
6 >>> Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> Please enlighten me as to what was impolite here? The strong
8 >>>> language of "seriously" or definitively stating that the individual
9 >>>> did not perform the necessary QA actions before committing? Both of
10 >>>> which are completely called for and appropriate. No vulgarity,
11 >>>> insults, or demeaning words were used. How would you have responded
12 >>>> professionally?
13 >>> It's important to remember that Gentoo is run by volunteers. Expecting
14 >>> a professional standard when it comes to the quality of commit
15 >>> criticism is unfair.
16 >> Applying that same rationale, it would be unfair to say that an undescribed
17 >> level of professionalism in communication is required as well. Nothing here
18 >> violates the CoC.
19 >>
20 > If you're only able to behave in a professional manner if the
21 > standards of professionalism are explicitly spelled out, I think
22 > you're missing the point.
23 >
24 > Ultimately it is an attitude. When you point out a mistake make it
25 > either about:
26 > 1. Helping the person who made the mistake to improve because you
27 > want to see them make better contributions (which they aren't going to
28 > do if you drive them off).
29 > 2. If you feel that somebody simply isn't going to cut it, then by
30 > all means report them so that their commit access can be revoked.
31 >
32 > Either of these has the potential to make Gentoo better. Simply
33 > posting flames isn't likely to change the behavior of people who need
34 > #2, and it is likely to discourage people who need #1. Either is
35 > against all of our interests in making the distro we benefit from
36 > better.
37 >
38 +1