From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 01:04:29
1 On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:48:12 AM JST Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 15 May 2016 08:40:39 +0900
4 >>
5 >> Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > Please enlighten me as to what was impolite here? The strong
7 >> > language of "seriously" or definitively stating that the individual
8 >> > did not perform the necessary QA actions before committing? Both of
9 >> > which are completely called for and appropriate. No vulgarity,
10 >> > insults, or demeaning words were used. How would you have responded
11 >> > professionally?
12 >>
13 >> It's important to remember that Gentoo is run by volunteers. Expecting
14 >> a professional standard when it comes to the quality of commit
15 >> criticism is unfair.
16 >
17 > Applying that same rationale, it would be unfair to say that an undescribed
18 > level of professionalism in communication is required as well. Nothing here
19 > violates the CoC.
22 If you're only able to behave in a professional manner if the
23 standards of professionalism are explicitly spelled out, I think
24 you're missing the point.
25
26 Ultimately it is an attitude. When you point out a mistake make it
27 either about:
28 1. Helping the person who made the mistake to improve because you
29 want to see them make better contributions (which they aren't going to
30 do if you drive them off).
31 2. If you feel that somebody simply isn't going to cut it, then by
32 all means report them so that their commit access can be revoked.
33
34 Either of these has the potential to make Gentoo better. Simply
35 posting flames isn't likely to change the behavior of people who need
36 #2, and it is likely to discourage people who need #1. Either is
37 against all of our interests in making the distro we benefit from
38 better.
41 Rich