From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 07:56:16
1 On Sat, 14 May 2016 21:04:17 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 I hope I won't regret this
5
6 > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
7 > > On Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:48:12 AM JST Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 > [...]
9 > [...]
10 > [...]
11 > >
12 > > Applying that same rationale, it would be unfair to say that an
13 > > undescribed level of professionalism in communication is required
14 > > as well. Nothing here violates the CoC.
18 No but it violates elements simply lot listed in the CoC. DO we need a
19 better CoC?
20
21 This undescribed level of professionalism is presumed assumed
22 knowledge, or 'understood', however the evidence suggests it is FAR
23 from 'understood'.
24
25 Here is a point worth highlighting. While I find the language used to
26 deliver the message an affront to my social senses, b-man does not and
27 deems it apt to the situation. Herein therefore lies the dilemma.
28 Being a communication instance, there are no clear rights or wrongs,
29 but pure shades of grey. There are forms that most find fine and other
30 most find a violation of social etiquette. The result is that this
31 style of submissions and responses re issues over QA are tacitly
32 accepted as valid and therefore endorsed. There is at least one other
33 dev in high authority who has all but ticked the message as justified
34 in the circumstances, while in other instances has placed a cross to
35 the same dev's reply in a separate thread.
36
37 This is predominantly why I refrain from sticking my neck out over
38 this type of issue. Inevitably, by weight of numbers in the community,
39 there will be someone who will vehemently reject and counter the point
40 posed and attempt to shout it down as tripe. The point will be lost, or
41 at least diluted to a meaningless mush.
42
43 > If you're only able to behave in a professional manner if the
44 > standards of professionalism are explicitly spelled out, I think
45 > you're missing the point.
46 >
47 > Ultimately it is an attitude. When you point out a mistake make it
48 > either about:
49 > 1. Helping the person who made the mistake to improve because you
50 > want to see them make better contributions (which they aren't going to
51 > do if you drive them off).
52 > 2. If you feel that somebody simply isn't going to cut it, then by
53 > all means report them so that their commit access can be revoked.
56 rich0 here has hit the target a bullseye. The underlying attitude in
57 the initial post displays a belief of justification and entitlement to
58 'shout down' the colleague and treat him with disdain over the blunder.
59 This is NOT a bootcamp with paid drill sargeants.
60
61 As long as this persists and is not intervened to polish and tidy up,
62 g-devs will persist in making innocent, naive or incompetent blunders
63 and run the gauntlet of being publicly scolded over errata. I can only
64 express my view that this style of personal demeaning potentially
65 results in embarrassment, public humiliation and drives community
66 members away from participation. The ultimate negative influence. I
67 would never entertain taking on eclass writing with the incumbent qa
68 member delivering assessments under the title of 'code review' in the
69 style he does.
70
71 It is clear he has learned that he is not only entitled but expected to
72 shout at folk for misdemeanours. hasufell also believed this, and
73 scoffed when I suggested to him directly one never needs to shout, but
74 rather speak in tempered moderate terms.
75
76 Try it some time mgorny. The sky will not cave in.
77
78 > Either of these has the potential to make Gentoo better. Simply
79 > posting flames isn't likely to change the behavior of people who need
80 > #2, and it is likely to discourage people who need #1. Either is
81 > against all of our interests in making the distro we benefit from
82 > better.
85 ditto
88 kind regards
89