From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 08:32:01
1 On Monday, May 16, 2016 3:56:01 PM JST Ian Delaney wrote:
2 > On Sat, 14 May 2016 21:04:17 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > I hope I won't regret this
6 >
7 > > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > On Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:48:12 AM JST Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
9 > > [...]
10 > > [...]
11 > > [...]
12 > >
13 > > > Applying that same rationale, it would be unfair to say that an
14 > > > undescribed level of professionalism in communication is required
15 > > > as well. Nothing here violates the CoC.
16 >
17 > No but it violates elements simply lot listed in the CoC. DO we need a
18 > better CoC?
21 Apparently we do, because people will continue to find ways to complain about
22 words and feelings.
23
24 > This undescribed level of professionalism is presumed assumed
25 > knowledge, or 'understood', however the evidence suggests it is FAR
26 > from 'understood'.
29 No, everyone just has a different tolerance for words that hurt or don't hurt.
30 Perceived intentions or the tone of a person behind a computer really doesn't
31 matter to most.
32
33 > Here is a point worth highlighting. While I find the language used to
34 > deliver the message an affront to my social senses, b-man does not and
35 > deems it apt to the situation. Herein therefore lies the dilemma.
36 > Being a communication instance, there are no clear rights or wrongs,
37 > but pure shades of grey. There are forms that most find fine and other
38
39 Next on bookshelves we will have "50 shades of Gentoo"... who is ready?!
40
41 > most find a violation of social etiquette. The result is that this
42 > style of submissions and responses re issues over QA are tacitly
43 > accepted as valid and therefore endorsed. There is at least one other
44 > dev in high authority who has all but ticked the message as justified
45 > in the circumstances, while in other instances has placed a cross to
46 > the same dev's reply in a separate thread.
47 >
48 > This is predominantly why I refrain from sticking my neck out over
49 > this type of issue. Inevitably, by weight of numbers in the community,
50 > there will be someone who will vehemently reject and counter the point
51 > posed and attempt to shout it down as tripe. The point will be lost, or
52 > at least diluted to a meaningless mush.
55 I appluad your efforts to ensure that the social aspect of Gentoo is a
56 pleasant one. The bottom line is that nothing wrong was said in this
57 instance.
58
59 > > If you're only able to behave in a professional manner if the
60 > > standards of professionalism are explicitly spelled out, I think
61 > > you're missing the point.
64 Again, people come from various backgrounds and ideals so maybe it should be
65 spelled out? That is completely unfeasible though hence the new book...
66
67 > > Ultimately it is an attitude. When you point out a mistake make it
68 > > either about:
69 > > 1. Helping the person who made the mistake to improve because you
70 > > want to see them make better contributions (which they aren't going to
71 > > do if you drive them off).
72 > > 2. If you feel that somebody simply isn't going to cut it, then by
73 > > all means report them so that their commit access can be revoked.
76 I would prefer a simple "seriously...." email vice a report to QA and the
77 revocation of my commit access.
78
79 > rich0 here has hit the target a bullseye. The underlying attitude in
80 > the initial post displays a belief of justification and entitlement to
81 > 'shout down' the colleague and treat him with disdain over the blunder.
82 > This is NOT a bootcamp with paid drill sargeants.
83 >
84 > As long as this persists and is not intervened to polish and tidy up,
85 > g-devs will persist in making innocent, naive or incompetent blunders
86
87 blunder: "a stupid or careless mistake." Are you redefining the word here or
88 just calling the original violation stupid? Because that would seriously hurt
89 some feelings. Semantics... what a condundrum.
90
91 > and run the gauntlet of being publicly scolded over errata. I can only
92 > express my view that this style of personal demeaning potentially
93 > results in embarrassment, public humiliation and drives community
94 > members away from participation. The ultimate negative influence. I
95 > would never entertain taking on eclass writing with the incumbent qa
96 > member delivering assessments under the title of 'code review' in the
97 > style he does.
100 Thankfully someone is doing it. If you choose not to contribute, out of fear
101 of an individual behind a computer, you should reevaluate why you are doing
102 this.
103
104 > It is clear he has learned that he is not only entitled but expected to
105 > shout at folk for misdemeanours. hasufell also believed this, and
106 > scoffed when I suggested to him directly one never needs to shout, but
107 > rather speak in tempered moderate terms.
108 >
109 > Try it some time mgorny. The sky will not cave in.
112 Entitlement and privilege. The true essence of this whole problem. No one
113 here wants to feel as though someone else is better or superior to them. I
114 can only imagine though, that people believe individuals are sitting behind
115 their computers just waiting for a bad piece of code to be committed so they
116 can shout at someone. If either of those cases apply to anyone here you
117 should find a new hobby.
118
119 > > Either of these has the potential to make Gentoo better. Simply
120 > > posting flames isn't likely to change the behavior of people who need
121 > > #2, and it is likely to discourage people who need #1. Either is
122 > > against all of our interests in making the distro we benefit from
123 > > better.
124 >
125 > ditto
126
127 I agree as well. However, the bottom line here is that nothing wrong was
128 said, and a valid point was made to ensure the committer understood the
129 severity of the mistake. Move on.
132 Cheers,
133 Aaron Bauman
134 Gentoo Linux Developer
135 GnuPG FP: 1536 F4B3 72EB 9C54 11F5 5C43 246D 23A2 10FB 0F3E