From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: auto-detection of unpack dependencies
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:41:07
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > As a result of Cardoes earlier mail we talked a bit about possible
4 > solutions in #gento-portage, and I suggested to let portage
5 > automatically inject the deps based on SRC_URI pattern matching.
6 > A mapping of extensions and their unpack deps would be kept in the tree
7 > (e.g. mapping '.tar.bz2' to '( app-arch/tar app-arch/bzip2 )'
8 >
9 > Benefits:
10 > - simplified depstrings for most packages (I assume >90% of the tree)
11 > - easier maintenance if dependencies are changing, or additional
12 > implementations become supported (this could also be achieved with
13 > virtuals though)
14 > - potentially more accurate dependencies, as some common errors would
15 > be eliminated (e.g. proper treatment of use-conditionals, not adding
16 > unpack deps to RDEPEND)
17 > - long-term adds the possibility to remove bzip2, gzip and tar from
18 > @system
19 >
20 > Potential problems:
21 > - might cause trouble for some packages that use custom code for
22 > unpacking, or due to circular deps, this could simply be solved with a
23 > new RESTRICT value though.
24 > - automagic deps could be confusing to devs/users
25 > - not available for existing EAPIs (due to the mentioned problems)
26 > - slightly slower dep calculations due to the extra processing
27 > - possible match errors
28 >
29 > So, is this something ebuild maintainers would like in general, or does
30 > such a feature cause you nightmares?
31
32 Yes. I think that's something which should be done manually.
37 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list