From: Stefan Jones <cretin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New category for xmingw cross compile toolchain
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:18:36
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 >On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:25 pm, Stefan Jones wrote:
6 >>dev-util/xmingw-binutils dev-util/xmingw-runtime
7 >>dev-util/xmingw-gcc dev-util/xmingw-w32api
11 >i'd prefer to see these moved into the normal binutils/gcc ebuilds myself
15 I do not think that would ever work well; the bootstrap method is a bit
16 to out of sync with the GNU/Linux target
17 Plus it would mean I would step on the gcc maintainers toes alot.
18
19 [ xmingw cross compiled libraries]
20
21 >are these libraries special ? that is, are these things specific to xmingw ?
22 >or are they just ebuilds which take normal packages and force them to be
23 >compiled with the xmingw toolchain ?
27 About half (guess) are xmingw spercific; will not compile in GNU/Linux.
28
29 Others are normal libraries which work on Linux but need special tricks
30 to get working with the crosscompiler.
31
32 >if they are xmingw-specific, then they should be added to the tree as sep
33 >packages, but if they are normal packages and these ebuilds are special hacks
34 >to cross compile them with xmingw, then they have no business in the tree
37 But what is the difference in effect? Both are libraries for the xmingw
38 toolchain, but a line would need to be drawn otherwise I might as well
39 port the entire cygwin distribution!
40
41 Out of tree collection looks good; but I doubt anyone will find it and I
42 do not really use xmingw!
43
44 Stefan
45 --