From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New category for xmingw cross compile toolchain
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:48:30
1 On Thursday 13 October 2005 08:16 pm, Stefan Jones wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > >On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:25 pm, Stefan Jones wrote:
4 > >>dev-util/xmingw-binutils dev-util/xmingw-runtime
5 > >>dev-util/xmingw-gcc dev-util/xmingw-w32api
6 > >
7 > >i'd prefer to see these moved into the normal binutils/gcc ebuilds myself
8 >
9 > I do not think that would ever work well; the bootstrap method is a bit
10 > to out of sync with the GNU/Linux target
11
12 glanced in the ebuilds and they dont look too bad to me ... this is how we do
13 avr after all ... we punted the avr gcc/binutils ebuilds and now people have
14 to `emerge crossdev && crossdev avr`
15
16 > Plus it would mean I would step on the gcc maintainers toes alot.
17
18 err, you mean me ? :)
19 i dont think the other toolchain guys would care too much
20
21 > [ xmingw cross compiled libraries]
22 >
23 > >are these libraries special ? that is, are these things specific to
24 > > xmingw ? or are they just ebuilds which take normal packages and force
25 > > them to be compiled with the xmingw toolchain ?
26 >
27 > About half (guess) are xmingw spercific; will not compile in GNU/Linux.
28
29 these are OK then imho
30
31 > Others are normal libraries which work on Linux but need special tricks
32 > to get working with the crosscompiler.
33
34 these are not valid then as sep packages
35
36 > >if they are xmingw-specific, then they should be added to the tree as sep
37 > >packages, but if they are normal packages and these ebuilds are special
38 > > hacks to cross compile them with xmingw, then they have no business in
39 > > the tree
40 >
41 > But what is the difference in effect? Both are libraries for the xmingw
42 > toolchain, but a line would need to be drawn otherwise I might as well
43 > port the entire cygwin distribution!
44
45 i thought the line i drew was pretty clear ;)
46 -mike
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list