From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/ package naming policy?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 21:23:59
1 >>>>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023, Andrew Ammerlaan wrote:
2
3 > Each of these is a different package. The package you usually want is
4 > GitPython, but if we would name it gitpython or git-python, things
5 > would get very confusing very quickly. In fact, this package was
6 > renamed precisely to avoid this confusion in [1]. This is not the only
7 > case where there are very similarly named packages on pypi. By having
8 > a 1 to 1 mapping between names in pypi and names in ::gentoo we avoid
9 > this confusion.
10
11 Looking at mgorny's list, you cannot have an 1 to 1 mapping anyway,
12 because that would result in invalid PN names.