From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/ package naming policy?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 18:13:35
1 On 28/01/2023 19:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>> However, it's been pointed out that this makes it hard for people to
4 >>> find packages they're looking for.
5 >
6 > I don't understand this argument. Why would all-lowercase make finding a
7 > package harder?
8
9 Here's an example, on pypi we have packages:
10 - git-python
11 - python-git
12 - GitPython
13 - git-py
14
15 Each of these is a different package. The package you usually want is
16 GitPython, but if we would name it gitpython or git-python, things would
17 get very confusing very quickly. In fact, this package was renamed
18 precisely to avoid this confusion in [1]. This is not the only case
19 where there are very similarly named packages on pypi. By having a 1 to
20 1 mapping between names in pypi and names in ::gentoo we avoid this
21 confusion.
22
23 Best regards,
24 Andrew