From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/ package naming policy?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 18:02:35
1 >>>>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > Based on existing remote-id entries, the following package names are
4 > mismatched (PN on left, PyPI name on right). Note that some of the IDs
5 > could be wrong, particularly because PyPI "autocorrects" - vs _.
6
7 Are there any rules by which upstream use of upper vs lower case can be
8 predicted? On first glance they look completely random, which is exactly
9 the reason why we have an all-lowercase policy for PN.
10
11 >> However, it's been pointed out that this makes it hard for people to
12 >> find packages they're looking for.
13
14 I don't understand this argument. Why would all-lowercase make finding a
15 package harder?