From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr vs. initramfs redux
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 21:43:05
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 03:47:18PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:49:38AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> I am concerned about /var being included in this because of the
7 >>>> potential of filling up the root partition.
8 >>>>
9 >>> Err, I don't follow. How does mounting /var fill up the root partition?
10 >>>
11 >> If you take /var off its own partition and put it on /, then it will
12 >> fill up / instead of /var. Filling up /var, not the end of the world.
13 >> Filling up / is a bad thing.
14 >>
15 > [snip]
16 > That is clear, but entirely irrelevant to my question. I _explicitly_
17 > support /var on a partition, that's why my entire initramfs proposal
18 > included it.
19 >
20 > I want to know what William had _against_ the mounting /var in my
21 > proposal, because that is what his statement implied.
25 For the record, I think /usr should work on a separate partition as
26 well. One reason, I would like to use LVM on all but my / file system.
27 This is something I been fiddling with for a while. Thing is, if /usr
28 has to be on / then there is no point in me using LVM at all. I don't
29 want / on a LVM because that requires some sort of init* to work. That
30 is what I am trying to avoid.
31
32 My opinion, this is going to lead to one heck of a mess. If it is
33 coming from upstream, which it appears to be, then there needs to be
34 someone to point the finger at. I read somewhere it is because of
35 Fedora so that helps some. It's still going to be a mess. My gut sees
36 it coming. I can already see where it is going to alter my plans hugely
37 and I'm a desktop user. I can't imagine a server or some complicated
38 setup. That is the ones I feel sorry for the most. If they are not
39 using some init* thing already, they appear to be needing one soon.
40 It's just one more thing to have to deal with and worry about breaking.
41
42 Just my $0.02 worth and that ain't much. ;-)
43
44 Dale
45