From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:33:45
1 (I hope this makes it to the -dev list)
2
3 Hello everyone -
4
5 I'm not an official dev but frequently report bugs, fixes and also
6 maintain a few go-based ebuilds in my private overlay. I also hate
7 golang with the force of a thousand suns, but hat's not important
8 right now.
9
10 Since I recently converted all my ebuilds from EGO_SUM to the
11 tarball way of doing things I'd like to chime in.
12 Also I'm not going to rehash everything that has been said, except
13 maybe that the space usage of the tarballs is nothing short of *insane*.
14
15 OTOH having to paste a weird list of dependencies into the
16 ebuild is also insane, even though get-ego-vendor makes this
17 palatable. With an eye towards fixing *that* with a bit more
18 automation, let's look at the pieces of the puzzle.
19
20 The candidate on the table: the ebuild for restic, a popular
21 and pretty clever backup program.
22
23 The restic ebuild by itself is ~40k:
24 $cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-backup/restic
25 $ls -al restic-0.13.1.ebuild
26 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40699 Apr 23 13:11 restic-0.13.1.ebuild
27
28 If we separate the ebuild from the EGO_SUM blurb, we get:
29 $ls -al restic-0.13.1*
30 -rw-r--r-- 1 holger users 39668 Jun 14 17:50 restic-0.13.1-EGO_SUM
31 -rw-r--r-- 1 holger users 1030 Jun 14 17:51 restic-0.13.1.ebuild
32
33 Nothing new here. But how large is the EGO_SUM really?
34 $ls -al restic-0.13.1-EGO_SUM.bz2
35 -rw-r--r-- 1 holger users 7902 Jun 14 17:50 restic-0.13.1-EGO_SUM.bz2
36
37 Much smaller obviously, but probably still too large for including in
38 $FILESDIR. So my idea here is: instead of chucking EGO_SUM (automatically
39 generated declarative dependency management) out the window, can we not
40 separate the two and instead of uploading the tarball upload the
41 dependency set instead? This does not fix the mentioned trust problem
42 since a dev space can still be hijacked, but that is already the case.
43 Anyway.
44
45 The only new requirement here would be to load/parse the EGO_SUM.bz2 into
46 the ebuild, but I'm sure that can be solved. Note that only the SHA of
47 the EGO_SUM.bz2 would be verified as dependency, not all the
48 contents - same as with the tarball.
49
50 This would eliminate the space bloat/bandwith amplification problem,
51 distfile caching across ebuilds could again work as expected (even though
52 go successfully makes that almost futile), and with slightly better
53 tooling in ego-get-vendor could reduce toil when bumping an ebuild.
54
55 I'm looking forward to hear why this idea is terrible. :)
56
57 Thank you all for Gentoo.
58
59 cheers