From: Christian Loitsch <gentoo-dev@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a question about hardware in gentoo!
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:22:14
1 On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 02:14:06PM +0200, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > On Friday 19 April 2002 10:34, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I compiled everything on a p60 with 16mb of memory. Ok, it takes ages, but
4 > > it does work. I didn't boot the cd though, as the system cannot boot from
5 > > cd, but I don't believe there are any real memory requirements on the
6 > > install. Just don't forget to make a BIG swapspace if you install on a slow
7 > > computer
8 >
9 > Yeah you can do that. But not only the CPU will be quite slow but the swap
10 > space is even slower on that old comp. You won't want to use swap on modern
11 > computers and its even worse on such old ones. Of course it may work but I'd
12 > strongly suggest to not compile on that machine. (Just for the speed :))
13 I also compiled with only 48MB ram, and for the base system (no
14 KDE/GNOME) it was nearly always enough (only glibc started swapping).
17 Christian Loitsch
18 gentoo-user
19 Earth