From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a question about hardware in gentoo!
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:14:08
1 On Friday 19 April 2002 10:34, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > I compiled everything on a p60 with 16mb of memory. Ok, it takes ages, but
3 > it does work. I didn't boot the cd though, as the system cannot boot from
4 > cd, but I don't believe there are any real memory requirements on the
5 > install. Just don't forget to make a BIG swapspace if you install on a slow
6 > computer
7
8 Yeah you can do that. But not only the CPU will be quite slow but the swap
9 space is even slower on that old comp. You won't want to use swap on modern
10 computers and its even worse on such old ones. Of course it may work but I'd
11 strongly suggest to not compile on that machine. (Just for the speed :))
12
13 I myself have a p200 in the basement. I compiled the whole system on my
14 workstation and only do the updates on the router itself which can take quite
15 some time too.
18 Alex
21 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
22 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
23 Benjamin Franklin