From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a question about hardware in gentoo!
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:35:30
1 On Thursday 18 April 2002 19:23, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > On Thursday 18 April 2002 18:40, Bjarke Sørensen wrote:
3 > > I think not, last I heard Gentoo required 64M RAM to boot the install
4 > > CD.
5 >
6 > Well you might be right did't consider the RAM but I don't know if that's
7 > true for compiling those components that run quite well on that hardware.
8 > But he can still build the system on another computer and then put it onto
9 > that comp. Running should be no problem if you don't run KDE or something
10 > like that. But you wouldn't want to compile a whole system with glibc and
11 > all on a 166MHz anyway.
14 I compiled everything on a p60 with 16mb of memory. Ok, it takes ages, but it
15 does work. I didn't boot the cd though, as the system cannot boot from cd,
16 but I don't believe there are any real memory requirements on the install.
17 Just don't forget to make a BIG swapspace if you install on a slow computer
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Junior Researcher