From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system set no longer in part of world set
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:56:41
1 On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:01:28 -0400
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 18:01 -0400, Doug Goldstein wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> This brings out the fun of circular depends. I don't really know
8 > >> how to address this but a lot of packages are going to have to be
9 > >> updated to contain proper depends. i.e. C based apps will need
10 > >> RDEPEND="virtual/libc". C++ packages will need a stdc++ depend.
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > > Adding a dep to libc almost everywhere seems extremely wrong to me.
14 > > I though we had decided many times that it was a bad idea.
17 > Yes. Adding libc everywhere is wrong. However, if you don't have one
18 > of the packages listed here [1], your libc won't ever update.
19
20 Now that's a big exaggeration. It _might_ be missing from world updates
21 (there are still many cases where it will be included), but that's not
22 the only available operation in portage.
23
24 Marius
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list