From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:29:26
1 On Sunday 07 November 2004 23:53, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > By what, 1% or less? (according to what I remember portage devs were saying
3 > 90% of the time is spent in bash anyway).
4
5 This was an assumption, based on the fact that you can expect all
6 subdirectories of categories to be package directories right now. When you
7 write a tool supporting _arbitrary_ depths you'd need to walk down the tree
8 and check for e.g. Manifest files all the time. I'm not familiar with the
9 Portage code, so someone else is welcome to give an exhausting answer. Also I
10 put portage caching aside, just would like to see a version that _really_
11 works.
12
13 I general I don't think that arbitrary depths lower the complexity to find a
14 specific package. Most likely it will raises the complexity of the Portage
15 code quite a bit, though.
18 Carsten