From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:46:08
1 On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:38:50 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | The idea was to simply change the "default" USE flags based on the
4 | profile. Someone using the desktop/gnome profile would have things
5 | automatically enabled in their USE flags that are not enabled with the
6 | standard system profile.
7
8 I'd considered the profile route as the other alternative when I was
9 first trying to figure out the best approach. Problems are:
10
11 - even with cascades, we'd have to maintain the same list of flags in
12 multiple places (cascades don't do multiple inheritance).
13
14 - it gets messy when you bring archs into it. use.mask combined with use
15 groups can make the whole thing "as near as possible" arch portable for
16 no extra effort.
17
18 - we'd end up with a heck of a lot of 'role' subprofiles.
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm