From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:38:54
1 On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:23 -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > I agree with this. It would be more productive to create roles/profiles
3 > for different machines and preferences. They would never be perfect, but
4 > then again, few people have their USE flags perfect because the tree is
5 > always changing in this regard.
6 >
7 > This also plays into providing better enterprise support, because we can
8 > create roles for servers and business-only workstations, etc.
9 >
10 > I'm not saying USE flag grouping is a bad idea, I just think profiles make
11 > more sense. Although, you could also implement them both.
12
13 The idea was to simply change the "default" USE flags based on the
14 profile. Someone using the desktop/gnome profile would have things
15 automatically enabled in their USE flags that are not enabled with the
16 standard system profile.
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
21 Games - Developer
22 Gentoo Linux