From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:29:34
1 On Fri October 29 2004 17:23, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Personally, I think the groups should be well defined and quite
3 > specific. After all, we are simply trying to reduce the number of
4 > things a person needs to configure in make.conf, not make it so a person
5 > can USE="@GNOME" and expect it to give them everything they would want
6 > (or are we?) for a Gnome desktop. I think if we were going to do that,
7 > then our best bet would be to start using profiles to add a bunch of
8 > stuff. After
9 > all, /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.3/desktop/gnome sounds
10 > like a winner.
11
12 I agree with this. It would be more productive to create roles/profiles
13 for different machines and preferences. They would never be perfect, but
14 then again, few people have their USE flags perfect because the tree is
15 always changing in this regard.
16
17 This also plays into providing better enterprise support, because we can
18 create roles for servers and business-only workstations, etc.
19
20 I'm not saying USE flag grouping is a bad idea, I just think profiles make
21 more sense. Although, you could also implement them both.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
25 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F