From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:26:52
1 On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 22:46 +0200, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:27:25 -0400
4 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > @GNOME="esd gnome gtk gtk2"
7 >
8 > +evolution +cdr +dvd +mozilla +eds +pim +hal
9 >
10 > And some more, if we want a good Gnome Desktop.
11
12 See... that's where the problem lies. Where do we stop and where do we
13 separate? Are the groups designed for laziness or designed to actually
14 group like items? Perhaps the others can be grouped into a "@DESKTOP"
15 or something, since they have nothing to do with Gnome (except hal,
16 which is a local anyway) specifically, but are used by Gnome ebuilds. I
17 mean, why not include dvdr and gstreamer and any of the other things
18 that can enhance Gnome?
19
20 Personally, I think the groups should be well defined and quite
21 specific. After all, we are simply trying to reduce the number of
22 things a person needs to configure in make.conf, not make it so a person
23 can USE="@GNOME" and expect it to give them everything they would want
24 (or are we?) for a Gnome desktop. I think if we were going to do that,
25 then our best bet would be to start using profiles to add a bunch of
26 stuff. After
27 all, /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.3/desktop/gnome sounds
28 like a winner.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
33 Games - Developer
34 Gentoo Linux
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list