From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:31:07
1 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn posted on Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:43:02 +0200 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Rich Freeman schrieb:
5 >> So, I could see how many linux users might think that interpreting a
6 >> complex root= parameter is a kernel function, when it is really just
7 >> the fact that they use an initramfs.
8 >>
9 >> If somebody is running with root=LABEL=foo or something like that
10 >> without an initramfs I'll happily stand corrected.
11 >
12 > If your disk is GPT partitioned, then you can use root=PARTUUID=...
13 > without initramfs.
14 > Note that PARTUUID is the partition UUID, not the filesystem UUID.
15
16 Thanks.
17
18 Note that the btrfs list discussion was in the context of gpt partlabels
19 (and that I specifically said I don't know if the kernel takes all such
20 assignments in root= or just that in the discussion), so it's quite
21 possible only partlabels and partuuids are accepted, as these are found
22 in the gpt partition table itself, which the kernel must know how to
23 parse in general, so teaching it to parse and honor these probably
24 wasn't /that/ much more work than teaching it to parse the table but
25 ignore them.
26
27 And the gpt handling code is new enough, it may have simply been added
28 with/for it, without touching the legacy mbr code.
29
30 Another variable may be bootloader. Grub2 has legacy linux16 loader
31 support, as well as 32-bit "linux" support. Between that and the fact
32 that it was designed to handle both BIOS and EFI systems, it's quite
33 possible that the legacy 16-bit linux loader protocol doesn't support
34 these features, while the 32-bit (and presumably 64-bit EFI) kernel
35 loader protocol does. I've no idea what grub-legacy used, but it
36 wouldn't surprise me if it was the legacy 16-bit loader protocol, and
37 that feeding root=PARTID= won't work for it but will with the 32-bit
38 loader grub2 defaults to.
39
40 I really should try it one of these days and know from personal
41 experience, but in this case, it really /is/ easier to just talk than to
42 do, since trying it requires rebooting, so I can't simply try it in
43 another window while I keep this post open, waiting on the result...
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman