From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:16:47
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:37:16 -0600 Lance Albertson
3 > <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
4 > | Could we possibly use a system thats a mix of how GLSA's and GLEP's
5 > | are handled currently?
6 >
7 > Sure, if that makes sense from an infra perspective.
8
9 Yes, I would prefer a standardish way to distribute these types of
10 things. GLSA's seem to work fine, but they are XML only currently and I
11 don't think this GLEP is heading that way. If we can nail down the
12 standards for local vs. remote (www) it should work fine from the infra
13 side.
14
15 > | Perhaps we could do the same for the news item where they actually
16 > | reside in the documentation module and the 'plain text' versions of
17 > | the files get copied into the tree at regen time. Correct me if I'm
18 > | wrong, but I think GLEPs are currently created as RST files then you
19 > | use a converter script to make it in guidexml.
20 >
21 > There is no published official RST to guidexml conversion tool that
22 > anyone is prepared to admit to having written at this stage.
23 >
24 > Also, you'd need to prod the docs guys to remove some of the annoying
25 > chapter / section restrictions if you want to use guidexml as a
26 > generated format for news items. It's hard enough mapping GLEPs onto
27 > that...
28
29 Yeah, I wondered about that too. I think the jist of this whole thread
30 is the www presentation level of it would most likely end up as guidexml
31 (unless there's a good reason to use something totally different). The
32 mean reason I say that is because I'm guessing most of the detailed
33 information will reside on the actual www nodes under the GDP which at
34 this time I'd like to keep in xml form. (And i'm only talking about the
35 presentation layer, not what you'll see in the tree).
36
37 If however, we think its better to have a totally separate vhost like
38 errata, we can be more flexible on the format we use to display. All I'm
39 after from an infra POV is something simple for us to manage and scale.
40
41 Cheers-
44 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
45 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
46
47 ---
48 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
49 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
50
51 ramereth/irc.freenode.net