From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:13:23
1 On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:12:17 -0600 Lance Albertson
2 <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
3 | If however, we think its better to have a totally separate vhost like
4 | errata, we can be more flexible on the format we use to display. All
5 | I'm after from an infra POV is something simple for us to manage and
6 | scale.
7
8 As it stands, it's a trivially simple documentation format that can
9 easily be converted to any other sufficiently general markup format, so
10 long as said markup format doesn't impose any requirements for things
11 like heading structures. Would you like three lines of bash to convert
12 news items into a PDF? :)
13
14 There's nothing in this GLEP that precludes using the news files in
15 other locations. Being able to do so is even listed in the requirements
16 part. It wouldn't surprise me if someone just happened to come up with,
17 say, a forums auto-poster or a Gentoo news XML auto-conversion tool...
18 If there's anything in the GLEP that makes doing so harder than should
19 be necessary, please let me know because I'd consider that to be a
20 problem needing attention...
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Anti-XML, anti-newbie conspiracy)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm