From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:03:37
1 > It is a Gentoo problem, because Gentoo gets innundated with bogus bug
2 > reports when users screw up their systems in weird ways and don't
3 > realise the cause.
4
5 Convince me that this is something more than just a power play, and
6 I'll work with you. But that's the hurdle you'll need to overcome
7 first.
8
9 Second hurdle is that you need to convince me that you "get" what the
10 overlays are there for. If you can't, then I can have no confidence
11 that any policies you bring forward are appropriate for the work we're
12 trying to enable.
13
14 Thrid hurdle is that you need to convince me that you're capable of
15 treating the overlays differently to how the main tree is treated. If
16 you can't, then I'll feel that you hoodwinked me at the second hurdle.
17
18 I'm sure you've got a lot to offer, to help make the overlays a
19 success. But your agenda has to be appropriate - otherwise you'll
20 just do more damage that good.
21
22 Best regards,
23 Stu