From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:22:04
1 Stuart,
2
3 I like the idea of overlays but your email here is completely bogus.
4 Ciaran just explained why overlays are a Gentoo problem, rebutting
5 Jakub's assertion that there's no need for policies. I don't see any
6 agenda here, so either you're pulling in external context, or you're
7 reading into it.
8
9 Aron
10
11 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Fri Mar 24 2006, 03:59:54AM EST]
12 > > It is a Gentoo problem, because Gentoo gets innundated with bogus bug
13 > > reports when users screw up their systems in weird ways and don't
14 > > realise the cause.
15 >
16 > Convince me that this is something more than just a power play, and
17 > I'll work with you. But that's the hurdle you'll need to overcome
18 > first.
19 >
20 > Second hurdle is that you need to convince me that you "get" what the
21 > overlays are there for. If you can't, then I can have no confidence
22 > that any policies you bring forward are appropriate for the work we're
23 > trying to enable.
24 >
25 > Thrid hurdle is that you need to convince me that you're capable of
26 > treating the overlays differently to how the main tree is treated. If
27 > you can't, then I'll feel that you hoodwinked me at the second hurdle.
28 >
29 > I'm sure you've got a lot to offer, to help make the overlays a
30 > success. But your agenda has to be appropriate - otherwise you'll
31 > just do more damage that good.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list