From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-server 1.0.99/1.1 ABI break
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:33:39
1 On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:19:48 -0700,
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Simon Stelling wrote:
5 > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 > >> We are working to ensure the dependencies work as smoothly as
7 > >> possible, but I expect there will be some issues since it's
8 > >> difficult to require updates to all these optional drivers
9 > >> following an update to the server.
10 > >
11 > > wouldn't !< atoms solve that problem?
12 >
13 > The drivers cannot be upgraded until a newer server is installed. So
14 > technically, this would allow things to work by forcing people to
15 > unmerge all their drivers before upgrading, then remerge the new
16 > versions. That's not a very desirable solution either, but do you
17 > think it's the best one?
20 What about a big PDEPEND in xorg-server-1.1 ebuild, with a bunch of
21 "video_cards_foobar? ( >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-foobar-NewVersion )"?
22 That should be enough to force a smooth update of the video drivers
23 after the server. And, the RDEPEND on video drivers could be removed
24 from the xorg-x11 meta-ebuild, to avoid redundancy.
25
26 Sure, it doesn't help users who have manually emerged some drivers
27 without listing them all in $VIDEO_CARDS: they will still be able to
28 update their server and keep some old broken drivers behind. But
29 hopefully, they won't be so numerous (much less numerous than those who
30 would be annoyed by some "!<..." block imho).
33 TGL.
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list