From: Tres Melton <tres@××××××××××.com>
To: #gentoo Channel Operators <ops@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Classes, a possible new method of spreading information
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:40:04
1 On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 11:34 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Your idea has its points, but I'm not sure if classes aren't just a work-around
5 > for lacking documentation in general. Of course, IRC is a lot more interactive
6 > than a tutorial, but reading IRC logs is really not the best method to lern
7 > something about a certain topic, so documentation would be needed anyway, except
8 > for those who are actually there. But then, why not just give them the
9 > documentation right away with a "Questions/Feedback to blah@××××××.er" footer? I
10 > think this is a far more efficient way to let people educate themselves. So
11 > basically, the documentation shouldn't be the primary location to get information.
12
13 I think that the best thing to do would be to put up a web page with
14 some documentation or a topic outline and then schedule a Q&A on IRC and
15 maybe in the forums too. There are a lot of topics that aren't
16 documented that well. What we really need is to find what topics people
17 are interested in learning more about.
18
19 > Other than that, i like your idea, and surely won't stop you :)
20 >
21 > Regards,
22 >
23 > --