From: Josh Glover <jmglov@g.o>
To: Gentoo Devt <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rm tragedies: was how to clean the "/tmp" dir
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:39:12
1 Quoth purslow@×××××××××.ca (Sat 2004-05-29 08:49:21PM -0400):
2
3 > given that 'rm' automatically rejects '..' & '.' in these circumstances,
4 > it really shd also reject '/' & '~' (incl '/home/username').
5 > i wonder whether the Gentoo developers cd fix the Gentoo version to do that ?
6
7 This sort of "fix" actually creates a *more* dangerous situation. As
8 with 'alias rm "rm -i"', it can save you from yourself... until you
9 logon to a machine without the safeguard, and now you have been
10 conditioned to believe that 'rm' is not really that dangerous.
11
12 I believe the best course of action is not to modify rm's behaviour
13 in any way, so that you get into the habit of using it carefully.
14
15 Of course, if you only use your own machine(s), and you can guarantee
16 that rm will always be aliased or whatever to make it safe, I have no
17 argument.
18
19 However, having the Gentoo project make rm "safe by default" is
20 unacceptable because many Gentoo users are sysadmins, and sysadmins
21 cannot afford to be careless with rm.
25 Josh Glover
26
27 Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
28 Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)
29
30 GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B 07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
31 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103