From: Michael Lang <mwlang@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:41:43
1 I like this decentralized idea as it lets the users help drive the ebuild
2 tree without core developers being involved in every single
3 decision. However, I think it is flawed in trying to push users to the
4 bugzilla interface as this forces the user to learn yet another interface
5 with dealing with Gentoo ebuilds. Why not borrow Freshmeat's design for
6 searching, displaying and drilling down to the various packages available
7 in the portage tree.
8
9 As you just pointed out, a lot of information is getting lost because your
10 average Joe isn't hanging out in bugzilla. However, if you had a comment
11 style section such as Freshmeat has, then bugs and issues could also go
12 here and we could let users "vote" on how their installs went as well as
13 report problems right there on the package's description and ranking page
14 along with all the other fun stuff Freshmeat rolls into their site.
15
16 I don't know how difficult this next suggestion would be, but it would be
17 great if the user had an "Emerge" link as opposed to Freshmeat's tarball,
18 rpm, binaries, src links, and that kicked off the emerge...if emerge
19 failed, the error gets cookied back to the browser and user gets presented
20 with a short submission form asking him to describe what went wrong. This
21 form is then sent to bugzilla upon user hitting submit. Of course, if the
22 build goes successfully, then a success submission form is offered and user
23 is allowed to comment, rank, etc. and submit.
24
25 If users are going to be allowed to write ebuilds and submit them to the
26 tree, then perhaps the bug submission is routed to the original ebuild
27 submitter and he has a set number of days to respond. If he doesn't
28 respond within that time period, then the bug gets routed to a core developer.
29
30 The beauty of this? Those familiar with Freshmeat barely have to learn a
31 new interface and the whole Freshmeat site has *got* to be open source
32 available somewhere to make this a fast start towards this sort of vision.
33