From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: consistent Gentoo tool names
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:04:47
1 On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 18:02, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Are you saying that all tools should be called 'gentoo-<new-name>'? I don't
3 > think this is clear in the current draft of the GLEP.
4
5 What's unclear about it? How could it be made more clear? When I read
6 it, it seems fairly obvious -- it's mentioned in multiple sections how
7 the naming scheme works. OTOH, I wrote it so it ought to be obvious.
8
9 > Personally, I don't think we need to start all of these scripts with
10 > 'gentoo-'. I'm keen to get the config-webapp tool into other distributions
11 > in the future, & having it called 'gentoo-config-webapp' doesn't help that
12 > aim.
13
14 The goal is making it easy to find tools, scan the list of tools and run
15 the desired tool. Why go halfway and have two separate prefixes (config-
16 and update-)?
17
18 As for the second part, clearly that particular tool is _not_
19 Gentoo-specific, and as such, should not be on the list of things to be
20 renamed. =) Mea culpa. However it would be helpful if the upstream
21 maintainer (you in this case) chose to rename it in a similar fashion
22 (i.e., config-webapp) and provided a Gentoo compatibility symlink at
23 gentoo-config-webapp in the ebuild.
24
25 Donnie
26 --